You've got questions and we've got answers.

What is a CEP, Certified Educational Planner?  
The American Institute of Certified Educational Planners (AICEP) awards the CEP credential to professionals, working independently or in schools, who have achieved the highest level of competence in educational planning. Only the best and most experienced counselors qualify to become CEPs.

Why should we use the services of a CEP?
 CEPs represent the highest level of professional standards. They demonstrate extensive knowledge, expertise and experience in the field of educational planning. CEPs provide you with the broadest and most informed educational choices for your child.

What questions should I ask before beginning work with an educational planner/counselor?
  • Are you certified by the American Institute of Certified Educational Planners?
  • What are your areas of expertise?
  • What is your background and training?
  • How many years of experience do you have?
  • How many educational institutions have you visited in the past 12 months?
  • Are you active in professional associations?
  • What expenses might I expect to incur during the counseling process?

Should I hire an Independent Education Consultant?

  • If your student is not able to get the time, attention and expertise from their high school counselor, you should consider hiring an IEC. According to the most recent data, Littleton Public Schools has 687 students per counselor, 831 for every psychologist and about 1,380 for each social worker. In districts such as Denver Public Schools and Douglas County, the ratio of students to counselors exceeds 900 to 1, more than three times the national recommendation of 250 to 1. High school counselors are consumed with scheduling, behavior/mental health issues and safety concerns. These priorities leave little to no time for college counseling.
  • If the parent(s)/guardian do not have the time, patience and learning curve to guide their child, they should hire an IEC. 
  • If the stress and tension in the home has reached an unmanageable level (they are teenagers, after all), you should hire an IEC.

When should I hire an Independent Education Consultant?
In order to achieve the best college fit and financial outcome, you should hire an IEC in either the student’s freshman or sophomore year. The more selective the college, the sooner you should contract with an IEC. 

Will working with an IEC reduce stress and improve my relationship with my child?
Immensely. I have been told countless times that I restore peace to the home, allowing the parents, student and siblings to enjoy each other (especially important considering the student will launch to college sooner than you think).

How often will you meet with my child?
It depends on when we begin working together. If hired freshman or sophomore year, we will meet approximately every quarter. By summer before junior year, we meet approximately every month and as senior year gets underway, we meet approximately every two weeks, through application season. Note: I am always available and accessible to my students and families to answer questions via email, text or phone call.

Can we work with you if we live outside Colorado?
Yes, I work with students from all over the United States. FaceTime is a beautiful thing.

Can we afford your services?
Can you afford to not hire an IEC? The college investment is very often the largest investment a family will ever make, second to their mortgage. The financial benefits to knowing your Return on Investment are huge. Avoiding a transfer (or two) and finishing undergraduate work in 4 years (not 5 or 6) is key to making this investment a wise one. Consumers (parents and students) must know the ROI.

Can’t my student get college help from her high school counselor?

That depends on which high school your student attends. I have the highest regard for high school counselors and seek to collaborate with them, on behalf of the student. The issue lies with funding. The vast majority of public high schools are not able to allocate the funds necessary to adequately staff their post-graduate departments.

How is an IEC compensated?
The consultant is paid by the family and never receives compensation from any school or program. As a Certified Educational Planner (CEP) and a member of the National Association of College Admissions Counselors and The Higher Education Consultants Association , I am bound by a strict code of ethics in order to ensure that the needs of the child and family are upheld with full objectivity. When working with a Certified Educational Planner and a member of NACAC and HECA, a family can be confident in knowing that their child is in the hands of a caring, experienced professional.
Share by: